Harrison Ford blasts US Iraq policy</HEADLINE>
<DATE>August 27, 2003</DATE>
At a safe distance from his homeland, veteran Hollywood actor Harrison Ford launched a broadside at US policy on Iraq, his country's gun laws - and the film industry for producing "video games" for teenagers.
"I'm very disturbed about the direction American foreign policy is going," said Ford, with US post-war casualties having exceeded those during the actual conflict.
"I think something needs to be done to help alleviate the conditions which have created a disenfranchised and angry faction in the Middle East.
"I don't think military intervention is the correct solution. I regret what we as a country have done so far," said Chicago-born Ford, 62.
The veteran star is in Madrid to promote his latest release Hollywood Homicide, a story of two moonlighting Los Angeles policemen, and receive a commemorative pin from Spanish soccer club Atletico Madrid, city rivals of Real, the club having tied up a sponsorship agreement with Colombia films.
Twice-married Ford, who sidestepped questions about his relationship with actress Calista Flockhart, also slammed the film industry for in his view relying on hi-tech wizardry at the expense of thrilling plots - though he himself was involved in the early days of the trend with Star Wars in the 1970s.<ISLANDAD> >