MSN Home  |  My MSN  |  Hotmail
Sign in to Windows Live ID Web Search:   
go to MSNGroups 
Free Forum Hosting
 
Important Announcement Important Announcement
The MSN Groups service will close in February 2009. You can move your group to Multiply, MSN’s partner for online groups. Learn More
GREAT DANE FUN!greatdanefun@groups.msn.com 
  
What's New
  
  WE'RE MOVING  
  General  
  GDF Chat Room  
  Library  
  Graphics  
  Links  
  BIRTHDAY BOARD  
  Rescue Board  
  Recipe Board  
  Rainbow Bridge  
  Cutting Corners  
  Board Index  
  Your & Dane Name  
  Pictures  
  Jokes and videos  
    
    
  
  
  Tools  
 
General : Poisonous Mulch
Choose another message board
 
     
Reply
 Message 1 of 2 in Discussion 
From: highsierra  (Original Message)Sent: 1/20/2009 10:04 PM
Please tell every dog or cat owner you know. Even if you don't have a pet, 
please pass this to those who do. 
    
   
Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog Calypso decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk . Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly. 
 
   
Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats
 
   
Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that 'It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it.'  ;
 
   
This Snopes site gives the following information:http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp 
 
   
Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called ' Theobromine'. It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker's chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine. 
 
   
PLEASE GIVE THIS THE WIDEST DISTRIBUTION!!! 

=


First  Previous  2 of 2  Next  Last 
Reply
 Message 2 of 2 in Discussion 
From: MSN NicknameDangerousGuardianDragonSent: 1/22/2009 6:32 PM
Thanks so much for the info, have never heard of Cocoa Mulch. 
 
We use the traditional mulch if you know what I mean...........LOL!
 
Dragon