Posting to the Boards and Lists
We have several message boards and lists here at the IKK, each with its own purpose. This tutorial should help you to post to the appropriate board. Each board and its purpose is listed below. E-mail me if you have any questions not covered here.
1. General Board - for anything! Please keep it clean, though. This is a family-safe site - off-color messages will be deleted and the offending poster will be permanently banned from the group without warning!
2. Cemeteries Board - for listing the IL cemeteries of interest to you. This board works the same way as the Surnames Board. DeAnn is using this list to compile a page of cemeteries listed by county.
3. Brick Walls Board - for posting your brick walls, giving as much information as possible without being too wordy - just the facts, Ma'am! lol
4. Brick Walls List - to be used in conjunction with the Brick Walls board. Again, please stick to the basics so the team will not have to sift through wordy messages to begin their lookups.
5. Illinois Links List - If you find a research site that looks interesting, post the URL on the General board along with a brief description of the site. I'll review it and if I feel it's worthwhile I'll place it on this list for future reference.
6. Subscriptions Board - This board is for listing any premium sites that you have access to and are willing to use to do lookups for brick walls.
7. Virus Alerts Board - self explanatory (I hope!).
8. Computer Tips - If you've learned a little trick or two to help those who are fairly new to computers, please post them here in a New Discussion.
9. Computer Help - Use this board to request assistance with computer programs, hardware (scanners, printers, cameras, etc.), site use and navigation, etc. We don't all use the same kind of computer, software, and peripherals, nor do we all have the same level of experience with computers and occasionally new users (and we were all new at one time!) have not had a chance to learn to use their equipment to its fullest. This board was developed for members who need this kind of assistance. When requesting assistance with computer hardware, be sure to include what kind of equipment you have so that someone who uses that same kind will be able to help you. For example, if you need help learning to use your HP ScanJet 2200c scanner be sure to post exactly that and what you need in the way of assistance. Members using the kind of equipment you have will be happy to assist you.
10. Suggestion Box - And that's just what it is! Ideas for the betterment of the site are welcome here and each and every one will be considered.
Replies to messages should be made on the same thread. Simply click on the bluish-pink Reply button within a message box. No need to add a subject to a reply since the topic of conversation is on the very first message. This keeps the discussions intact and helps to avoid some confusion.
Some of the Lists were made for members to add to, some of these being the Member Profiles, Brick Walls, and Headstone Locators. Others can only be edited by a site manager (the IL Links List for one). To add to one or more of the above lists, simply click on Add Item, type in your information and Save (or Send). To change your information click on Edit Item. An editor will come up allowing you to make changes. When finished click on Save Changes at the bottom of the edit page. Remember to edit - do not make a new entry for the same information.
Special Custom Pages:
If you would like to submit items for these pages (Poetry, This 'n That, Recipes, Hobbies, Kritters Korner, Kuzzins Konnect, Obituaries, Biographies, etc.) please e-mail them to me at email@example.com. Please remember to put IKK and the page you wish your items to appear on in the subject line. Otherwise it will go into my junk mail folder and get overlooked.