MSN Home  |  My MSN  |  Hotmail
Sign in to Windows Live ID Web Search:   
go to MSNGroups 
Free Forum Hosting
Important Announcement Important Announcement
The MSN Groups service will close in February 2009. You can move your group to Multiply, MSN’s partner for online groups. Learn More
Illinois Kinfolk 
What's New
  Happy Birthday IKK  
  Computer Help  
  Computer Tips  
  Helpful Hints  
  Message Board  
  Lookups List  
  Yearbook List  
  Surnames List A-J  
  Surnames List K-Z  
  IL Links List  
  Genealogy Links  
  Chat Reviews  
  Member Profiles  
  Meet Our Members  
  Headstone Finders  
  IL Obituaries Index  
  IL Obituaries  
  Obits on File  
  Lost and Found  
  In Memorium.....  
  IL Biographies Index  
  Biography Bits  
  Bio Bits - Page 2  
  Bio Bits - Page 3  
  Bio Bits - Page 4  
  Bio Bits - Page 5  
  Bio Bits - Page 6  
  Bio Bits - Page 7  
  ISTG Article  
  Questions to Ask  
  Kuzzins Konnect  
  This and That  
  Kritters Korner  
  Hobby Lobby  
  Site Awards  


and Family Histories

Welcome to our Biographies & Family Histories page.  Members are welcome to submit brief family histories and biographies of their ancestors for this page.  E-mail them to me at and I'll post them for you as I have time.

Article from "Combined History of Shelby and Moultrie County, Illinois" 
This gentleman, one of the leading farmers of Whitley township, is a native of Gallatin county, Illinois, and was born October 27th, 1826; his father, John Ashley Baker, was born in North Carolina in 1803, and when about seventeen moved to Kentucky, and soon after came to Illinois; he married Elizabeth Dillon, a native of Tennessee. John Ashley Baker lived in Gallatin county till 1827, and then settled in the present Windsor township, Shelby county; he lived in Shelby county till his death in 1862, with the exception of one year when he lived in Kansas; he was a man well-known throughout the county, and left a large family of children. William K. Baker was the third child; he was about six years old when his father settled with his family in Shelby county.  Mr. Baker was raised in Windsor township; he was married July 11th, 1844, to Lucinda Virginia Carter, a native of Vigo county, Indiana. Mr. and Mrs. Baker started out upon the sea of matrimony very young in life -- seventeen and thirteen. After this marriage Mr. Baker started out for himself, working by the month at $8 per month.  In a few years he obtained a small track of land, and has ever since been engaged in farming; he is now the owner of seven hundred acres. A view of his farm and residence in Whitley township is shown on another page.  He has always been a democrat in politics; his attention has been closely devoted to business affairs, and he has taken no active part in politics.
.....Submitted by Raylene Lamb 

History of Vermillion Co. - Newell Township -  page 961 - written copyright 1879
MARTIN J. BARGER, Bismark, farmer was born in Newell township, Vermillion co., Il on the llth of February, 1846, and is the son of William J. Barger and Elizabeth (Randy) Barger.  His father died when he was quite young, and his mother marrying again, he left home and apprenticed himself to the shoemaker’s trade, which he learned. The subject of this sketch displayed a truly heroic spirit in his persistent effort to become enrolled with the Union defenders. At the beginning of the war young Barger endeavored to get into the army while he was yet but sixteen years of age.  He was very small and delicate, and had a girlish appearance. At that time the physique of the volunteer was closely scrutinized, as the supply of men was greater than demand. Co. B of the 25 Reg. ILL. Vols was organizing at Danville, and he presented himself to Capt. Thomas McKibben, who was recruiting it, The Captain “laughed him to scorn,?and told him that they did not want boys, but men to fight at the same time pointing to some stalwart specimens standing by. After this rebuff, he repressed his military ardor until the early spring of 1862, when some of the Davison and Myers boys, of the 25th, were home on furlough.  He now determined on making another trial, in the spite of the ridicule, which beset him, from all who became acquainted with his intention. When he applied to be mustered into the service, in the hope of saving transportation expenses. Failing in this, he went to Springfield, but was rejected there. Proceeding hence to St. Louis with his companions, he was also rejected there.  He then went to Rolla, and fared likewise there.  This point was the end of railroad travel. A squad of convalescents was forming here to move forward to join their commands, and our hero stated his case to the commanding officer, and requested permission to join them and be furnished rations. When they reached Springfield, Missouri, he renewed the effort, with the same disheartening result. He continued on the squad to Forsythe, Missouri, where he joined the 25th ILL. Reg. He was dressed in civilian clothing, and before he found the command, was arrested and taken before Siegel’s provost marshal, but, on explaining himself, was released. Making application at once to Capt. Wall of Co. B, he was told that it was no use, he would die in a few days. Foiled again at the last resort of appeal, he did not know what to do, but finally decided to follow the army and be a solder, if for nothing else than to triumph over all opposers and opposing circumstances.  He was furnished arms and equipments, and an outfit of clothing.  In about a week the army was in motion for Batesille, Arkansas. The first day he kept up, the second day did not get into camp with his command, the third day did not arrive until late at night, and the fourth day entirely lost sight of the army. He had some money, and bought his meals along the route, camping out at night. He moved forward every day, way worn and weary, almost fainting from fatigue. When he came into camp at Batesville about an hour after the command had arrived, - not having been seen for nearly a week, and supposed to be either captured or dead - the cheers of the boys arose to greet him, and signalized his triumph. Henceforward he kept abreast of the best among them.   From hence the army moved to Cape Girardeau, where, after a time, it paid off.  The captain asked him if he wanted pay.  “If you think I will make a soldier,?was the answer.  “O, you’ll do!?nbsp; Replied the captain, with an air of confidence and satisfaction. Having signed the pay roll, he was legally a soldier; his hopes were realized and his triumph complete. Old soldiers know the meaning of “sand?and ”grit?but few have seen a better exhibition of it. He was in Mississippi in the summer of 1862, and marched to Louisville under Buell, and was present at the battle of Perryville, but not engaged.  He was in the battles of Stone River and Chickamauga; wounded and taken prisoner at the latter place, and held about ten days, when he was released on parole. He was not exchanged until the next summer, while on the Atlanta campaign. Mr. Barger remained with his regiment until exchanged, but not doing duty. He fought his last battle at Jonesborough; was present at the subsequent battles of Columbia and Nashville. The term of service of his regiment having expired, the recruits served out the rest of their time at Gen. Stanley’s headquarters. He was discharged in March, 1865.  His wound incapacities him from hard labor, and he draws a pension. He was married on the 19th of April to Mary A. Steward, who died on the 16th of August, 1870. He was married again on the 25th of September, 1873, to Margaret W. Richie. They have four living children:  Walter L. R., Anna M., Samuel B., and John W.  Mr. Barger is a republican in politics, and in religion a Methodist......Submitted by Prudy




 1  2  3  4  5  6  7